Monday, February 14, 2011

The Disconnected Mouth of Cass


Mom, I have to tell you something you’re not going to like.

What?

I like skateboards better than the violin.

That’s ok. And you know what? You don’t have to choose. You can do both.

You mean play the violin on a skateboard?

---------

Cass, why did you call me up here again? It's time to go to sleep, love.

I’m worried about you.

Why are you worried?

Because I think there might be werewolves down there.

-----------

Cass, I better not hear you say that word again.

But I didn’t say it. My mouth said it.

You control your mouth. And you are responsible for what you say.

You better tell my mouth that.

-------------

Close your eyes, Cass. It’s time to take a nap.

I can’t. My eyes want to look out the window.

-------------

Mom, everyone dies someday, right?

[Me, a little distraught, because he has been talking about death so much lately and crying and crying and crying because he doesn’t want me to die ever, even when he’s an old man. And I don’t want him to get upset again] Yes, Cass, baby. Everyone does die eventually, but you don’t have to worry about me dying for a really long time. It shouldn't even...

[Interrupting] Well, Daddy will die sometime, too, right?

Yes, but Cass…

Well, when Daddy dies, then can we get a cat?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Cass is so funny!!Sounds like you had a blast up North!!
Mom

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home