Friday, December 03, 2010

Grandma

This is my grandma. She barely comes up to my shoulder. Her body is hunched, small and frail, but she's  strong. She wound up in the hospital a couple weeks ago with serious case of bronchitis, but she wouldn't stay. They said she shouldn't be alone, so she stayed in my old bedroom. After a day though, she insisted my dad was trying to force her out by keeping the heat too low and she went home.

I pull in her driveway, and she's carrying two giant metal bird feeders from the backyard to the garage, where she intends to fill them with seed. She's wobbling, and they're hitting the sides of her legs so hard I wonder if she'll have bruises. I help her load the seed from a metal trashcan filled all the way to the top. She could feed birds for the next 10 years from that garbage can. And she probably will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home